Friday, March 11, 2016

Architecture Preview

Strong National Museum of Play, USA

1. Chaintreuil, Jensen and Stark
2. It was established in 1969 and made to the public in 1982.
3. Rochester, New York, USA
4. It's open to the public
5. $37 million
6. It was originally built to display Margaret Woodbury Strong's personal collections.
7. I picked this building because it looks like a really fun building. It reminds me of my childhood, and it's a place I definitely want to visit. I like how it has a bunch of my childhood shows and memorabilia. 

Atomium, Belgium

1. Andre Waterkeyn, Jean Polak
2. Construction started in 1956, opened in 1958
3. Brussels Belgium
4. It's a landmark and open to the public
5. 125,000 euros
6. It was built for the World's Fair in 1958 and has been declared a Belgium landmark since then.
7. I picked this one because I liked the stainless steel look. I think it looks really modern and it reminds me of a roller coaster you would see in Spy Kids. I also like how Waterkeyn took the scientific approach on architecture by making a building inspirited by an Iron molecule.

Kansas City Public Library, USA

1. Louis Curtiss
2. Established in 1873
3. Kansas City, Missouri, USA
4. It's open to the public
5. $10,000
6. It was built to be a public library for Kansas City
7. I picked this one because I love to read, and libraries are one of my favorite places in the world. I also have a friend that lives in Kansas, and I was wondering if he'd been there. Then I remembered Kansas City is in Missouri, but it's still a really cool building.

National Center for the Performing Arts, China

1. Paul Andreu
2. Opened July 2007
3. Beijing, China
4. It's open to the public
5. CNY3.2 billion
6. It was built to be a performing arts center with 3 halls, The Opera Hall, The Music Hall and the Theater Hall
7. I picked this one because I love performing arts, I'm in orchestra currently and I have been in choir and theater in the past. Anything to do with performing arts fascinate me. I also love how it reflects on the water it's surrounded by.

The UFO House, Taiwan

1. Matti Surronen
2. Began in 1978 and abandoned in 1980
3. New Taipei City, Taiwan
4. It's become a minor tourist attraction, so it's open to the public
5. No information
6. It was built to be houses for people to buy for $14,000.
7. I picked this one because I was really interested in the dystopian theme and I thought it was really intriguing that they were abandoned. I really enjoyed reading about the conspiracy theories about these buildings, including that they were built on a burial ground and are now haunted.



No comments:

Post a Comment