Thursday, December 17, 2015

Fall Final Extra Credit

1. There was a man harassing other people in the subway, so 58 year-old Ki Suk Han confronted him about it. The man then pushed Han onto the tracks of the oncoming subway train. Hans was unable to lift himself out, so photographer R. Umar Abbasi began taking photos of the man to try to get the train to see the camera's flash and stop the train because he couldn't help Hans himself.

2. The photographer said he took the photo to try to tell the train that there was a man in the tracks and to stop. Abbasi was hoping the train would see his camera's flash and stop.

3. I think the photographer should've tried to help Hans out more instead of taking the photo. If I was that photographer I wouldn't have taken the photo. 

4. I think it depends. If Abbasi really and truly couldn't have gotten Hans out in time, then I think he did. Abbasi tried his hardest to get the train's attention to stop, but it wasn't enough. I think the best thing he could've done was to help Hans out.

5. I disagree with the decision to put that photo on the cover because it's morbid. It's Hans last moments before he gets killed by the subway train. I think out of respect for his family, I would not run that photo on the cover. On the flip side to that, it's a very impactful image that might spark a lot of people's attention to buy that magazine, so I understand why they did.

6. As a photojournalist, capturing life as it happens is more important. Sometimes there are things that you can't change or that you can't help stop. The goal of a photojournalist is to capture images that tell a story and impact a viewer, and I think that this photographer did just that.

7. I think it's always acceptable to put yourself into a situation when other people need help whether you photograph it or not. I think this because I believe that every human should do what is necessary for them to help other people. 

8. I think this depends on how severe the situation is. If the situation can cause extreme harm to a person, then yes I think photojournalists should avoid influencing this situation. On the other hand, if the situation is harmless, I don't see any problem with photojournalists taking out their cameras and shooting it as it happens.

9. A photographer's job is to take photos and capture moments as they happen, good or bad. I think that's something people who aren't photojournalists don't understand. Yes, I think he should've helped the man out, but at the same time I understand. He was doing his job, and he was doing what photojournalists are known for doing, taking photos that tell a story.

No comments:

Post a Comment